Friday, October 24, 2008

German Mutation

My German gown has undergone many revisions in it's young life. My inspiration for this gown came from Cracach's "The Feast Of Herod" c.1531. I especially liked the girl carrying Herod's head, of course!









I had intended to make it as my first 12th Night dress, but procrastination won that battle and I stayed home. I managed to complete the main body of the gown in April of the following year. I had to be sewn into it, but it was functional for La Prova Dura's first run. Lower sleeves (hehe, vambraces!) later replaced the little wrist cuffs I had been using to hold my chemise in place... Those were dashed out for the Action of the Low Countries muster. (Next time I do that event I MUST wear boy clothes and join in on the drills. Dressing as a girl = staying in camp and cooking.) I also added a sash and coif to the ensemble.



I thought the rule was "Once it's worn, it's garb and never worked on again!" but I was quite wrong. These are the Germans That Never End. I am now adding embroidery to the brocade sections. And beads. And more embroidery. Oh boy.




I should be working on fencing shirts right now...
Oh. And the top edge of the chemise does not actually show when I wear this. My derss form is not nearly as... pliable... as I am. Hehe. And I simply must make a hat to top this all off! *sigh* Darn projects of side-tracking goodness...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, you should totes update this blog... *wicked grin*

Nell said...

Ugh... I'm such a slacker about keeping current on project documentation!