Sunday, February 3, 2008

The Cupcake Venetians


I don't know about the rest of the world, but I tend to name my clothing. This particular dress (a peachy-pink and pale yellow brocade) has been dubbed "The Cupcake Dress" in honor of it's frosting-like hue.
Since I live in a small town, my options for suitable fabric are rather slim. Aside from the guessing game that is internet shopping, I have one store that carries interesting (In pattern as well as fiber content) fabric for the late period costumer... Home Fabrics & Rugs. While I have managed to get lucky with the occasional brocade, I must always keep in mind that I may very well be sewing a gown that matches someone's couch.
When I first found this fabric (A cotton/ick blend), I was under the impression that it shouldn't be too difficult to pattern match.
Silly me.
Not only is the pattern asymetrical, but it manages to run ever so slightly on a diagonal. By half an inch or so... Also, there was a bit of an issue with the selvedge edge. The brocade ended just shy of the motif's middle. Grrrrrr. For once I listened to that little voice of reason and gave up entirely on matching my patterns. All for the best, I assure you.


No comments: